Sunday, June 2, 2013

Poor Pete Monster

That's what we kept saying all last week and through the weekend.  After a fun filled weekend with his girlfriends, Peter came down with a cold.  The night we got back he slept terribly.  I thought it was just teething until he woke up the next morning all sniffly/snotty and coughing.  That evening he conked out snortingly slept hard. The next morning he was still miserable and was super clingy.  He didn't have a fever yet and wasn't obviously pulling at his ears a ton, but I just felt like something wasn't right.  We took him to the pediatrician that evening and sure enough - double ear infection.  I felt so bad for Peter, he was so uncomfortable.  That night we got him started on antibiotics and gave him some tylenol, but it didn't seem to do anything for his discomfort.  We finally got him to sleep in the BOB stroller and then brought the stroller into his room so he could sleep.  We even took him for another walk at midnight to help him fall asleep.  Thank you BOB, you saved our life and helped Pete monster sleep - even if it was only in 2-3hr chunks.  I ended up sleeping with him lying on my chest in the recliner and propped up in our bed for the remainder of the night and the following night as well.  Any time I tried to lie him flat he woke up screaming (fluid in the ears I imagine?)

Thank goodness for Amoxicillin.  It is nasty, pink, thick and gross, but I am very grateful.  I know antibiotics are often over prescribed and lead the development of super bugs.  But I am still really grateful that we put PEter on them.  He is a different kid today.  Much much better.  Still snotty and coughing, but MUCH happier.  He is back to sleeping in bed and is sleeping better.  Still not through the night, but I can actually console him now and get him back to sleep vs. last week.  I do look forward to not having to syringe it into his mouth 2x a day.  A few more to go!  I'm also so thankful for Jake - he was such a rockstar dad and helped me stay calm when I was freaking out not being able to console Peter.  Jake is so calm with him and always gets him to relax.


This is the saddest picture - poor Peter!
Napping inclined in the BOB - the elevation of his head made it easier/more comfortable to sleep I imagine
Sleeping/napping in the recliner with Grandma

Another nap in the BOB - the expression on his face just makes me cringe!
I'm feeling better!!

And eating again!  Dad made banana pancakes

Snotty but happy!

Still taking my antibiotics, but much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment