Saturday, October 6, 2012

Daddy Days


Daddy and I

Sorry for the delay on getting this blog post written.  It has been a busy week for me: learning how to wear cloth diapers, discovering my hands, focusing my eyes together, working on fun new noises and doing lots of eating.

Last weekend my mommy had a work retreat at Skamania Lodge and that meant that during the day daddy was in charge of me.  I know what you are thinking and I was skeptical too, but grandma was there on Saturday to make sure he was qualified to take care of me.  He passed so it was just daddy and I during the day on Sunday and Monday.

So even though I was skeptical at the start in the end daddy did a great job and we had lots of fun together.   
Chillin with Dad

~Peter

I spent a lot of time napping in the hotel with my Daddy

Hiking



Fatherhood - Pregnancy and the first 9 weeks

Last weekend I got to take care of Peter while Amy was in sessions at her work retreat. Peter and I had a lot of fun and it gave me plenty of time to reflect on being a dad.

On August 3rd 2012 my life changed forever.  Thirty-seven weeks earlier, on December 16th 2011, I learned that I was going to be a dad.  From that moment on, I knew in my brain that I was going to be a dad, but didn’t feel it physically like Amy who was experiencing the pregnancy first hand. I was experiencing it through her but never had the same physical connection with Peter as he grew.   So when I saw Peter for the first time my daddy-meter went from 0 to 100 in just a few seconds.    

When Amy and I decided that we wanted to start trying to have a child I was excited to be a dad.  When I learned that Amy was pregnant I was so happy, and when I learned that I was going to have a son I felt like I was on cloud nine.  I tried to imagine what it would be like to be a parent, but in my wildest imagination I could not envision something so great. 

I can’t believe how fast he is growing up.  Everyday things change. It is so much fun watching his motor skills develop and starting to see his personality come through.  I spend half of my time thinking about the next step and how much fun it will be when we can do more things together and the other half of my time hoping that he stays just like this forever.   Each day I can’t imagine things getting any better and everyday I am proved wrong.

Time to for me to put down the computer and pick up my son.  More posts to come.

~Jake

2 comments:

  1. Well said. I think Alex can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning photo of Peter holding Jake's finger. That is a really special image.

    ReplyDelete