Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rings

My biggest stressor this past week has been getting my wedding rings off.  I never take them off and it didn't really occur to me that my hands would get swollen to an alarming point.  They weren't horrible, but I started worrying that the swelling might start to really hurt!  My OB told me I should really get them off.  So starting Monday I embarked on the journey........My mom recommended I try a floss trick - see youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0xUN0Kf00w) so I tried it but realized I needed help.  I got Pam and Jay to help me and we successfully got the first one off.  However then my finger started to swell a lot and I couldn't get the second one off.  The next day I tried my best to work that sucker off but I couldn't do it.  My mom helped me Tues night and we tried and tried - to no avail.  We tried ice water, we tried vaseline, we tried soap, we tried the floss trick again.  My finger was pissed.  My mom suggested I use some coban to wrap my finger to help reduce the swelling.  It was so successful that when I woke up in the morning my finger was way less swollen, but still really sore.....and that ring was still stuck.  The next day I kept the coban on and that evening I went to the pool.  The pool heater was broken so it was really cold - but that was PERFECT to help my swollen hands.  After swimming I hopped out of the pool, grabbed the Albolene (a lubricant we use in PT for soft tissue work), lubed up my finger and twisted, and twisted and yanked - it really hurt but it eventually came off!!!  I was so excited that I think I told everyone in the locker room about it.  
Success!!
I'm so glad I was able to get it off.  I was ready to have it cut off if I couldn't get it off that night.  Oh the anxiety!  I felt like it was an analogy to getting ready for labor.  Oy vey.........

My advice to all those pregnant ladies out there?  Take your rings off before your hands swell!!

1 comment:

  1. That right there would send me into a claustrophobic conniption. Way to be brave and persevere! Maybe THAT'S the analogy for labor :)

    ReplyDelete